Main Discussion - Norwich City

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Unmarked players at the edge of our box

Leaving aside the rest of yesterday’s performance was anyone else a bit disturbed by our marking at set peices?

At every single corner or long throw they had two players standing on the edge of our box completely unmarked waiting for the defensive header and it came to them on at least three or four occasions when we headed it straight to them. Had they been a better side I feel we could have been punished for this and I couldn’t believe that we didn’t react and address it.

Re: Unmarked players at the edge of our box

Our defensive behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.

I think it's fair to say that we can't play Buendia, Leitner and Hernandez in such an attacking formation away from home, and expect much in the way of defensive solidity. That said, it's not surprising we showed a little bit of naivety defensively given the average age and lack of experience in the squad. I do agree it's worrying Farke wasn't able to resolve the issue.

I think we've got to accept that we probably need to play either a back five or two more defensive minded midfielders, and sacrifice attacking intent for actually getting a foothold in the game. No surprise to me that we looked both more solid and better going forward when we bought another combative midfielder on.

Only thing I would add is that it really looks like McLean has been a big loss for us. I hope he's back soon.

Eleven men defending every single corner inside our own penalty area are you really surprised the opposition has spare men waiting to receive any balls that we clear ? It happens every game.

TIL 1010 wrote:
Eleven men defending every single corner inside our own penalty area are you really surprised the opposition has spare men waiting to receive any balls that we clear ? It happens every game.

The odds are always in favour of the opposition getting the ball in that situation anyway.

That’s it Tilly and I don’t think it had anything to do with the formation or personnel as we are taking about set pieces. We had 11 men in our own six yard box sometimes and then a 15/20 yards fap to the edge of the area.

Gap

lake district canary wrote:
 TIL 1010 wrote:

The odds are always in favour of the opposition getting the ball in that situation anyway.

Indeed they are Lakey if you have no defensive outlet. That situation as you put it happens at every single corner so that is a major flaw which allows the opposition to regain possession under no pressure whatsoever.

TIL 1010 wrote:
 lake district canary wrote:
 TIL 1010 wrote:

Indeed they are Lakey if you have no defensive outlet. That situation as you put it happens at every single corner so that is a major flaw which allows the opposition to regain possession under no pressure whatsoever.

This from another thread is the thinking behind this way of defending corners. FWIW I don't think there's a wrong or right way, teams concede goals from corners no matter which system they use.

A Load of Squit wrote:
 hampton canary wrote:
West Brom took a corner and all eleven City players were in the box against 7 opponents; yet once again we conceded a goal. I just cannot get my head around why Farke insists on playing this way for corners. Even if by chance we managed to head the ball away there were 3 West Brom players unmarked outside the box waiting to pick the ball up.

I asked a coach about this and he said, although it wasn't a philosophy he adheared to, that the thinking behind this is that if the ball is cleared it invariably does not go to the player you leave up and the other thing is that the shape of the defensive set up fragments as players don't move as a unit. By having all of your players defending the corner you can operate as a unit and move up the field by pressing the opposition players who retrieve the ball that was cleared.

Whether you belive in the plan or not it's what some coaches believe and they also believe that the stats back it up.

I'm not here to defend it I'm just reporting what the coach I asked said.

The theory sounds solid but it just doesn't work in practice. Exposing yourself to more pressure by letting teams almost inevitably get two opportunities to get the ball into our penalty area just isn't helpful.

Zonal is a waste of time for all but the disciplined. And we ball watch too much for it to work.
If there are only 5 attackers in the box then you don't need every single person back in the box.

If we marked the players on the edge of the box this would not be a advantage to the attacking team because the time it takes for them to control it or even shoot they should be closed down
at the moment as they are unmarked they can do as they wish with out so much pressure major flaw in tactics

TCCANARY wrote:
This from another thread is the thinking behind this way of defending corners. FWIW I don't think there's a wrong or right way, teams concede goals from corners no matter which system they use.

A Load of Squit wrote:
 hampton canary wrote:
West Brom took a corner and all eleven City players were in the box against 7 opponents; yet once again we conceded a goal. I just cannot get my head around why Farke insists on playing this way for corners. Even if by chance we managed to head the ball away there were 3 West Brom players unmarked outside the box waiting to pick the ball up.

I asked a coach about this and he said, although it wasn't a philosophy he adheared to, that the thinking behind this is that if the ball is cleared it invariably does not go to the player you leave up and the other thing is that the shape of the defensive set up fragments as players don't move as a unit. By having all of your players defending the corner you can operate as a unit and move up the field by pressing the opposition players who retrieve the ball that was cleared.

Whether you belive in the plan or not it's what some coaches believe and they also believe that the stats back it up.

I'm not here to defend it I'm just reporting what the coach I asked said.
The bit I've highlighted is crucial surely? Our problem is not the strategy but poor implementation of it. Our "unit" doesn't move forward quickly enough after winning the initial header. Walters' opportunity late on yesterday was an example; not only was the ball played back in, it was played back in to an on-side Walters!

Yes we don't move as a unit.

The other issue is that leaving one up might allow us to close down the person who wins the second ball and give us more of a chance to push out as a unit.

If you leave one (or two!) up, as much as anything it takes two (or three) of their players out of the attacking equation - nobody will leave 1 on 1 at the back as it’s not worth the risk.

The benefit of zonal (if you’ve got the players and leaders to do it) is that the defending team dictates more than they can with man marking. You have a certain amount of players each defending their own zone and what the opposition do doesn’t matter.

All being in the 6 yard box doesn’t work though. You have to mark your zone but also use your brain - if you give the opposition a ten yard run at the ball, they’ll beat someone who is standing still/off a two yard run.