Re: Are we getting better?

Black shorts versus green,

A situation also brought about by financial constraint

Different coach.
Different opposition
Different players
Different wages

I know the OP says individually but I don't think Howson would be any better under Farke than Hughton or Neil.
And would we have been better if Ruddy had passed the ball out like Gunn did instead of look kicks.
Not easy to compare and we all have our favourites.

The individuals may be better man for man but as a team we look weak and unimaginative.

Have been catching up on some full match highlights via IFollow and have no doubt that Moritz Leitner could prove to be a top act.

It's not easy being patient but true City fans will be, let's judge this squad and coaching staff over Xmas and not before... CTID OTBC

"Have been catching up on some full match highlights via IFollow and have no doubt that Moritz Leitner could prove to be a top act."

Agree with that.

My opinion about him has shot up after Sunday.

It had previously been coloured by comments on this forum, by the Leeds game and by precious little else apart from highlights and distant memories of last season.

I had therefore thought him to be a lightweight, luxury player hardly suited to the rigors of Championship life.

Mick Mills on my IFollow commentary (through the ITFC site) was generally biased in favour of the home side but he singled out Leitner's contribution and influence during the game more than once.

I thought that Leitner was industrious, skilful and streetwise.

He also scored a very good goal.

We have a good 'un there who will only get better.

Surfer wrote:
Whittaker v Aarons TBD
Hoolahan v Buendia TBD
Think you've been a bit generous with a TBC on those two.
If Arrons is not going to be an upgrade on Whittaker one might as why is he here.
If Buendia is going to have to go some to be an upgrade on Wessi.

Making Plans wrote:
 Surfer wrote:
Whittaker v Aarons TBD
Hoolahan v Buendia TBD
Think you've been a bit generous with a TBC on those two.
If Arrons is not going to be an upgrade on Whittaker one might as why is he here.
If Buendia is going to have to go some to be an upgrade on Wessi.

There is a decent chance the Buendia of the next season or two will be at least as good as the Hoolahan of the last season or two.

Well no has to be the answer, we finished lower at the end each of the last three seasons.

So unless we get 13th or better than we're not getting better are we?

Won 1 in 6 this season with Middlesbrough next. Some promising youth coming through but we’re certainly not getting any better .

OK projecting to the end of this season... IMO we have the potential to be a better team than the one that won promotion via the playoffs, albeit the competition looks stiffer this year. I also think Klose, Pinto and Olivera will offloaded next Jan.

Ruddy v Krul Wash
Whittaker v Aarons Upgrade
Martin v Hanley Upgrade
Bassong v Godfrey Wash
Olsson v Lewis Wash
Tettey v Thompson Wash
Johnson v Leitner Upgrade
Redmond v Hernandez Downgrade
Howson v McLean Wash
Hoolahan v Buendia Wash
Jerome v Rhodes Upgrade

Leitner was appalling against Ipswich and gave the ball
away numerous times. Good job he scored as he couldn’t do anything right. I was there. I really don’t know what some people were watching.

Absolutely bonkers.

Max Aarons - promising and exciting a prospect as he is - has played two games. To suggest he’s an upgrade on someone that played 150 times for Rangers and was capped thirty times by Scotland is batshit mental. He may well end up the better player but for heavens sake...

Likewise with the Bassong and Olssen and Tettey comparisons.

Potential is one thing but to suggest that a promising kid matches up to those seasoned internationals at THIS stage is fanciful in the extreme.

Of course, let’s hope that they fulfil the promise they’ve shown but let’s not expect them to sprint before they can crawl.

Yes true about Whittaker, but the scapegoat merchants seemed in need of one more dig for old time's sake.

SW had a lot of good moments for NCFC, including in the Premier League.

We are a WIP, hence i wont compare our present squad to any previous one. What i do see is two summer windows and one winter window where the playing staff, maybe only Alex Tettey apart, thats completely and utterly been overhauled, Russ Martin leaving just about the last vestige of the old squad finally gone from those promotion / relegation years.

Looking back on last season, despite it all, i think DF did a good job getting us in mid table, considering all the changes that happened. This last summer window i think  surpassed all my expectations in getting some good players into the club, looking at our squad now, i think it has the makings and potential to not only get better but in fact much better. But lets not forget there is still a lot of gelling to be done on the pitch still, thats why i think DF's  real job is only just beginning, as the team itself can only now be called a DF team.

Are we getting better?..depends what aspect of the club you think about and what previous time or era you compare it with. But for sure a couple of areas where we are getting better is at Colney, which is getting its much needed upgrade, and in the academy products that are getting into the first team squad. Those two things by themselves are a big big improvement on recent seasons.

PurpleCanary wrote:
There is a decent chance the Buendia of the next season or two will be at least as good as the Hoolahan of the last season or two.
Aren't we comparing the current lot against the last team to get promotion, when Hoolahan was still in his prime.