Main Discussion - Norwich City

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Time flies by in the Yellow and Green.

Time does fly by though, the years are passing quicker and quicker !

nutty nigel wrote:

That was my first game. And our first game on MOTD. And can be watched here : -

Great to see Tommy Bryceland again.

and did you notice Garry Megson's dad, Nutty?

Was also at that game. Got there late and so was on the concrete steps leading up the side of the overflowing River End terrace. Had to keep moving around and jumping up and down to see the players. Swept away by the tide of supporters at the end. One of those where you thought "I could lift my feet up and still get carried along" type crushes that happened in them there days.

I remember standing in the River End in 1971 / 72 watching Norwich play Chelsea in the League Cup.
That game got called off because of fog, and I also recall us playing Crystal Palace in a relegation game we won 2-1 about the same time? Too short to see very much, but that wasn't the point of going as far as I recall, instead it was the atmosphere and the constant swaying of the crowd as your team attacked the opposition goal. Probably considered too dangerous now, and it probably was on reflection.

Ricado
How about Roy Hollis and Alf Ackerman

PS
Showed my wife's relation this thread
He is going to the Wigan game as a guest of a NCFC employee to mark 80 years since watching his first game which was against Southampton who he tells me played in Blue and White in those days

daly wrote:
Ricado How about Roy Hollis and Alf Ackerman PS Showed my wife's relation this thread He is going to the Wigan game as a guest of a NCFC employee to mark 80 years since watching his first game which was against Southampton who he tells me played in Blue and White in those days

How could he tell ?

It was all black and white in those days..............I've seen those games on the telly

ps was it S'oton who were blue and white ?

Ben today wrote
how could he tell?
It was all Black and White in those days
I've seen those games on telly

I

Don't understand question about what games you have seen on telly
Southampton played in Blue and White

Can't remember my first game but it was around 1957 - I was 8 at the time so it's getting on for 60 years for me.
By the time of the 59/60 Cup run, when I was 10, I was allowed to go on my own on the train from Acle to Norwich to watch the games.
Not many kids would be allowed to do that now.
I went to the Ilford, Swindon, Man U and Cardiff games but wasn't allowed at any of the others because of the crush.

BTW, I can remember going to see City v Halifax on Easter Monday 1959. The crowd was 29,976 for a Div 3 game.
Remarkable

Had to check back on the Interweb for the date but my first ever game was Man Utd on 2/12/72. Remember Bobby Charlton's strange hair. Crowd over 35000!

Party!!! [<:o)]

The first game I remember going to was Villa at home in 1967 when I'm pretty sure Hugh Curran scored from an acute angle with a shot on the turn,  so it's at least 51 years for me.

First game was the beginning of 1959/60 season, wasn’t allowed to go to the Cup games previously, too young.

my first match v Cardiff City 31st Aug 1946. First match after the 2nd world war. 2-1 win to Norwich. Goals from Cyril Walker and Billy Furness, At least seven in that team had been with city before the war, Cyril Spiers was the manager he later left and returned to Cardiff

I was at both games and vividly remember the 'crush' of the crowd. Lots of fathers would take beer/milk crates for the kids to stand on. I think the Chelsea game Peter Osgood took advantage of the fog and punched one of our players knowing the ref couldn't see that distance.
The Palace game was a bit of a relegation decider (I think) and Palace went ahead from a dubious penalty.

Interesting that there seem to be so many of my contemporaries on the website!

Frustratingly, I can't remember when my first game was, but was in 1967 or 8. I know Lol Morgan was the manager.

Goodness, it was a very different world back then!