Main Discussion - Norwich City

Topic has 87 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Serena Williams

FenwayFrank wrote:
I love the way she screams “ I’ve got a daughter !! “ like no other woman in the world has had a baby 😀
She probably thinks she is FF as i have just been reading where she insisted on having an entire floor at the hospital cleared and made available for her at the birth to retain her privacy.

Haggerdoo wrote:
A poor loser just like Lewis Hamilton - all smiles when they win but throw the toys out and quick to blame others when it doesn't go their way

Deservedly so Lewis Hamilton must be the most unloved British F1 driver of all time.

......and Smith must score. wrote:
 Haggerdoo wrote:
A poor loser just like Lewis Hamilton - all smiles when they win but throw the toys out and quick to blame others when it doesn't go their way

Deservedly so Lewis Hamilton must be the most unloved British F1 driver of all time.
I have never forgiven him for Nicole Scherzinger.

Unless that particular umpire has a history of not punishing the men doing the same, how can Williams and the WTA have any credibility with the Sexism card?
Utter rubbish, she’s a poor loser who got punished for being coached, her coach even confirmed he was coaching, then broke her racket and went onto losing control.

As far as I’m concerned I think he deserves a medal for putting up with this tantrum.

We all say how well respected rugby referees are and how rugby players react, why can’t other sports do the same!

Got what she deserves and I feel sorry for the poor Osaka who’s win has been overshadowed by the ill mannered American.

There definitely is something going on over here; between very senior executives being kicked out of their positions for multiple sexual abuses (CBS TV head just the latest example) and a Supreme Court nominee who is going to get appointed who wants to cripple the legal right to abortions, it's a very heated atmosphere around respect for women.

With regard to this example, yes she was upset on the coaching warning, but she didn't have to smash her racquet into the ground; after that she went on a long rant at the umpire and accused him of cheating. So while I have some sympathy for her, at the end of the day she was in control of the outcome and she didn't take that opportunity.

What a lot of people who are crying out about this don't get is that it was a cumulative thing - the first punishment is a warning, then a point, then a game… it is unusual for it to get to that point, players will have their rant/break the racquet and just get the warning, so you almost don't notice. There's a list of what is punishable and her outburst sits in it fair and square. Williams really has no leg to stand on and playing the sexism card is pretty disgraceful; I'm just glad race didn't come into her claims against one of the best umpires in the game.

Serena, to her credit didn't. But the race card is clearly in play ahead of the November elections. The "uppity black" meme is in full view, with criticism of NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem in protest against multiple killings of black teenagers, the "jungle drums" robo-calls against the black Florida governor candidate, and now Serena being doubly guilty of being black and female. So it's a pretty toxic brew, and this above situation was immediately sucked into the broader political fight.

Do any of you realise that she nearly died in child birth? She also received a fair bit of flack for wearing a compression suit while playing, which was to avoid potentially life threatening blood clots. All this after the aforementioned nearly dying thing.
Whatever you think, there is no denying that this woman has done SO much for the world of tennis. And I'm not even a massive fan of the sport. I can just appreciate greatness when I see it!

Do any of you realise that she nearly died in child birth?

That has little or no bearing on this. I nearly died as a youngster but don't go around telling the world about it so I can behave badly.
She is just a bad loser and ruined her opponents day. She should apologise publicly.

keelansgrandad wrote:
Do any of you realise that she nearly died in child birth?

That has little or no bearing on this. I nearly died as a youngster but don't go around telling the world about it so I can behave badly. She is just a bad loser and ruined her opponents day. She should apologise publicly.

This^^^  Her ego has always been fragile.  Really great players do not need to lose their cool like she did, especially when they have been in the game as long as she has.  There is a book called "Winning ugly" by Brad Gilbert.  She has made a career of it, brutalising and intimidating opponents in a way that - for me - has spoiled watching many ladies tennis finals for the last twenty years.  She has now achieved the opposite - losing ugly.  Can't deny her her victories, her brute force has put her at the top of the game - but this loss was awful to watch.

The other thing that got me was when the Japanese girl was in tears at the end, Williams puts her arm round her to console her in a “ it’s all the nasty umpires fault” way.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/11/repugnant-racist-news-corp-cartoon-serena-williams-mark-knight

Clicky please

keelansgrandad wrote:
Do any of you realise that she nearly died in child birth? That has little or no bearing on this. I nearly died as a youngster but don't go around telling the world about it so I can behave badly. She is just a bad loser and ruined her opponents day. She should apologise publicly.

I meant SHE nearly died while giving birth to her child. It was a reference to someone saying she took out the whole top floor of a hospital to give birth. She has tonnes of complications with it. It wasn't that long ago yet she is still out there playing and trying to give it her all.
Many, many things are messed up with some of the comments on here. I'm not even going into it anymore.
Last word is for whoever wants it!

BobLoz3 wrote:
Do any of you realise that she nearly died in child birth? She also received a fair bit of flack for wearing a compression suit while playing, which was to avoid potentially life threatening blood clots. All this after the aforementioned nearly dying thing.
Whatever you think, there is no denying that this woman has done SO much for the world of tennis. And I'm not even a massive fan of the sport. I can just appreciate greatness when I see it!

Multi-millionaire nearly dies in childbirth then risks her child being motherless so she can continue in a job where she's  already won everything going.

Maybe ' selfish ' is the last word ?

I don't think you guys watch a great deal of Tennis, do you?

She was wrong in her reaction but all these people saying, "he would have done the same if it was a man" are either a little bit ignorant or naive.

The whole coaching things happens in every single game, bar one involving Lendl as he just sits there though it's widely accepted that he has a code to communicate with his players on the court.

A few years ago I was at Wimbledon with a ground pass and was watching Mikhail Youzhny on one of the minor courts. I bagged a front row seat in the corner and was soon sh*t myself when Youzhny had a bit of a wobbler and started walking towards me shouting in Russian. I then realised that he was actually shouting to the gentleman two seats to my left; his coach. The whole match the two of them were in constant dialogue. This is not unusual.

Have a little search for Viktor Troicki and look at some of his outbursts. He called an umpire "the worst in the world", received a single warning but continued his tirade. Was there a point deduction? Was there a game penalty? Did the ranter have a vagina?

A few months back, Australian player Thanasi Kokkinakis said the f-word, once in conversation with the umpire and once in conversation with his opponent. No penalty.

And if you want a similar comparison to the men's game, take the best ever Roger Federer, he accused the umpire of "stealing" his challenge after a technical issue with the system. Outcome? No warning, more of an apologetic shrug.

And as for the poster who mentioned Tarango, he was not expelled from the court, he walked off.