Main Discussion - Norwich City

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

In a nutshell

"We are still finding our feet in playing out from the back. We can go back to an old style but we will never be a top team. Or we can stick with it and accept it won't always work." (Gareth Southgate, after England's loss to Spain last night).

England, a team good enough to steamroller lesser sides but for ever losing to top ones; same problem, same solution. We hear you Gareth (some of us).

Re: In a nutshell

I wasn’t aware that we’ve been steamrolling lesser sides??

6-1 against Panama JF.

Thirsty Lizard wrote the following post at 09/09/2018 9:56 AM:
6-1 against Panama JF.

He’s making a direct comparison between England and Norwich. We (Norwich) have not been steamrolling lesser sides.

JF,

Nor, imo, have we been playing out from the back, playing at the back possibly, playing out - not sure.

Just a suggestion: if you read a post in a way which makes it manifestly false, how about asking yourself what the poster actually meant?

England, a team good enough to steamroller lesser sides but for ever losing to top ones; same problem, same solution. We hear you Gareth (some of us).

We’re struggling against the lesser teams and other teams in this league se us as a lesser team. Therefore it isn’t the same problem and same solution

"asking yourself what the poster actually meant?"

Did it mean you're not as clever as you think you are?

Westcoast,

I think some of us did ask ourselves what you actually meant, came up with the wrong meaning possibly, but that can only mean there was some ambiguity as far as we were concerned.

king canary wrote:
"asking yourself what the poster actually meant?" Did it mean you're not as clever as you think you are?
No, just that some posters deliberately select a meaning on which they can pour ridicule. And by the way, how clever I think I am is not necessarily the same as how clever you think I think I am. 

When you say it’s the same it’s hard to not take the meaning that way.....

Ray wrote:
Westcoast, I think some of us did ask ourselves what you actually meant, came up with the wrong meaning possibly, but that can only mean there was some ambiguity as far as we were concerned.
Ray, show me any post which is completely unambiguous! Hence what is sometimes called The Principle of Charity, namely that most people, most of the time, aim to say something true, so interpreting what they say in a way which renders it manifestly false is likely to involve misinterpretion of it. 

So the two potential interpretations are...

1- you said something that was clearly false but it actually had some much deeper meaning nobody else can see and you yourself won't explain

2- you said something clearly false, now realise it makes you look stupid and are trying to walk it back by claiming some other meaning.

JF wrote:
When you say it’s the same it’s hard to not take the meaning that way.....
Does "same" mean "identical in every respect"? A dog is the same as a cat, both are animals even though one barks and the other doesn't.

Why don't you just say exactly what you do mean in posting this, Westcoast?

My assumption was you were making a direct comparison between what England are trying to do and what Farke is trying to do. But do correct me if I'm wrong.